The U.S. Embassy can assist when U.S. citizens in Trinidad and Tobago when they are in need of help. Click on the emergency services below for complete information. U.S. citizens in Trinidad and Tobago are, of course, subject to the laws and procedures of Trinidad and Tobago.
Attention American Citizens:
If you have been the victim of a violent crime while visiting or living in Trinidad & Tobago, you may be eligible for financial compensation from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board (CICB).
Who is Eligible to File a Claim?
- Victims who have suffered physical and mental injury as a result of a violent crime.
- A dependent of a deceased relative.
- The parent/guardian of a dependent of a deceased victim who is an infant.
- The person with whom a mentally ill dependent resides or a duly authorized medical doctor.
Crimes to which this Act Applies
- Wounding with intent
- Inflicting injury with or without a weapon
- Using a drug with intent to commit an offence
- Administering poison or other destructive or noxious substance so as to endanger life or inflict grievous bodily harm
- Administering poison with intent to injure or annoy
- Offences under the Sexual Offences Act
Restrictions in Filing a Claim
Compensation will not be paid where:
- The cause of injury or death was due to the fact that the victim failed to comply with the law
- It was determined that the victim broke the law
- The victim contributed to his/her own demise
- The victim failed to cooperate with the police in the investigation
- The injury was as a result of the operation of a motor vehicle, boat or airplane and was not used deliberately as a weapon to cause harm or bodily injury
The following documents should be attached to the application form to facilitate the processing of the application:
- Medical certificates
- Death certificates
- Identification card of victim / applicant
- Receipts for funeral and medical expenses
- Police report
Guidelines and application forms can be obtained and dropped off at any of the following locations:
1) The Ministry of Justice Reception Desk
Ground Floor, Tower C
POS International Waterfront Complex
1 Wrightson Road
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Phone: (868) 627-2374; 2376; 2321
2) Office of the Senior State Counsel, Legal Department
Phone: (868) 639-5546, ext. 120
3) All Legal Aid Offices throughout Trinidad & Tobago
Criminal Injuries Compensation Board (CICB)
Tower C, Level 20
Port of Spain International Waterfront Complex
1 Wrightson Road
Port of Spain
Telephone: 1(868) 627-2321 | 1(868) 627-2376/2374
Fax: 1(868) 627-1761
Hours of Operation: Monday-Thursday, 8:00am to 4:15pm | Friday, 8:00am to 4:00pm
For more information visit the Ministry of Justice website