Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
U.S. Passports

Applying for a U.S. passport while outside of the United States is a different process from applying for a U.S. passport while you are inside the United States. If you applied for a new passport in the United States and have not collected it, you cannot apply for another passport in Trinidad.

Passport Requirements

The U.S. Embassy in Port of Spain provides U.S. passport services weekday mornings by appointment only. Click here for an appointment.

New passports are usually ready to pick up two weeks after the application is submitted. Your current passport will not be cancelled until you pick up the new passport.

The application forms, supporting documentation, fees and finished products are the same worldwide. You can learn what you will be required to bring by visiting the Department of State's webpage:

Apply for a Passport

However, please note that the U.S. Embassy in Port of Spain requires that all passport applications be submitted in person, by appointment only. Also, all fees must be paid by cash (TT or U.S.) or credit card (Visa or MasterCard) on the day of your appointment. Personal checks, cashier's checks, traveler's checks, money orders and Linx are not accepted.

Fees for Passport Processing

Mailing Address and Permanent Address

The passport application forms require you to provide a Mailing Address and a Permanent Address. Please note that we will NOT mail your new passport to you. You must pick up your new passport in person at the Embassy. If you are residing abroad, you must enter your overseas address - including the country - as both the Mailing Address and Permanent Address. If you only reside in Trinidad and Tobago part-time, please list your other address as your Permanent Address. If using the online application tool, please select "Priority Mail (FREE)" as the delivery option.

Social Security Number

Failure to provide your Social Security Number on your U.S. passport application may result in significant processing delays and/or the denial of your application. Section 6039E of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. 6039E) requires you to provide your Social Security Number (SSN), if you have one, when you apply for a U.S. passport or renewal of a U.S. passport. If you have not been issued a SSN, enter zeros in box #5 of the passport application form you are completing. 

If you are residing abroad, you must also provide the name of the foreign country in which you are residing. The U.S. Department of State must provide your SSN and foreign residence information to the Department of Treasury. If you fail to provide the information, you are subject to a $500 penalty enforced by the IRS. All questions on this matter should be directed to the Internal Revenue Service.