Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Vital U.S. Records

Request to Verify U.S. Citizenship

Some U.S. citizens who reside in Trinidad and Tobago have been instructed to request letters from the U.S. Embassy to verify their U.S. citizenship.

The U.S. Embassy does not provide letters verifying U.S. citizenship. The U.S. Government recognizes a valid U.S. passport as primary evidence of U.S. citizenship and prohibits Embassies and Consulates from providing letters or other documents in lieu of passports or Consular Report of Birth Abroad (for children who are born abroad and qualified for U.S. citizenship at birth) to affirm citizenship.

The U.S. Embassy also does not maintain records on when U.S. citizens acquired their citizenship. The only documents issued by a U.S. Embassy or Consulate are passports and Consular Report of Birth Abroad. The Embassy advises U.S.-born citizens to obtain certified birth certificates from the city, county or state where they were born.

Please visit this U.S. Government website to learn how to request certified birth certificates directly from the city, county or state in the U.S. where you w-re born:

Replacements of Consular Reports of Birth Abroad must be requested in writing from the Department of State in Washington, DC.

Please call (202) 955-0307 or visit this website for more information:

Citizens who naturalized may demonstrate when they acquired citizenship by presenting their Certificate of Naturalization. If they have lost their certificate, they may request a new Certificate of Naturalization by submitting an "Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document" (Form N-565) to the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Form N-565 can be downloaded at and submitted by mail directly to the USCIS address below, along with the appropriate fee. As of March 2010, the fee was U.S.$380. Please call 1-800-375-5283 to request updated fee information. Forms may be submitted at the Embassy, along with payment in U.S. dollars in the form of an international postal money order. Please note that forms submitted at the Embassy will be forwarded to USCIS via regular mail delivery, which may take an extra two to four weeks to reach the U.S. For questions about processing time, please call the USCIS National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.

For regular mail:
DHS/USCIS Texas Service Center (USCIS TSC)
PO Box 851182
Mesquite, Texas 75185-1182
Telephone 1-800-375-5283

For express courier mail:

4141 St. Augustine Rd.
Dallas, Texas 75227
Telephone 1-800-375-5283

U.S. Embassy's Letter to the Immigration Divison of Trinidad and Tobago

The U.S. Embassy sent a letter to the Immigration Divison of Trinidad and Tobago regarding requests to verify U.S. Citizenship. Click here to download a copy of the letter.

Vital Records from other U.S. Government agencies:

The following are external links to other U.S. Government agencies:

Social Security Administration

Veterans' Affairs

Department of Homeland Security