Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
What are the Immigrant Visa Application Requirements?

When a beneficiary is eligible to apply for an immigrant or fiancé(e) visa (that is, the priority date becomes current and all the pre-processing requirements have been met), the National Visa Center (NVC) queues the beneficiary for a visa interview. The NVC will send the applicant a packet with the visa interview appointment date, information, the application forms and a list of required documents. It is important that visa applicants submit all documentary requirements to NVC so they are "documentarily qualified" for the visa interview, otherwise, they will be found ineligible for visa issuance and be asked to return to the Embassy for another appointment. The basic documents that an applicant must submit are:

  • Passport
    Each visa applicant must have a passport valid for at least six (6) months from the time of the visa issuance.

  • DS-260
    Online Immigrant Visa Application. Each visa applicant requires their own application to be submitted.  The form and instructions are available on the Department of State's Travel website.
  • DS-160
    Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application. For K visa applicants only.  The form and instructions are available on the Department of State's website.
  • Birth Certificate
    Each visa applicant must have a birth certificate. Copies are needed for principal applicants and derivative family members and petitioners who were born in Trinidad and Tobago.

  • Police Certificates
    A police certificate is required from a country in which the applicant lived for more than one year (six months if you are applying for a K visa) after turning 16 years of age. Foreign police certificates should be obtained in any maiden names, married names, aliases or nicknames ever used while in the country in question, including different spellings of all names ever used.

    The State Department's Visa Office offers online information on the availability of country documents (including police certificates) through its Country Document Finder. Click on the letter that begins the country name, select the country and scroll down to "Documents".

  • Marriage Records (if applicable)
    If the marriage ended by divorce, annulment, disappearance or death of the spouse, legal and/or civil documentation must be presented attesting to the termination of the marriage (annulment decree, death certificate, a foreign divorce decree, or foreign death certificate).

  • Military Record (if applicable)
    Applicants who have served in the military should present a certified copy of their military records.

  • Supporting evidence of identity and/or relationship
    Applicants should be prepared to submit documents that further establish their identity and/or their relationship with the petitioner or the principal applicant. Personal correspondence, home telephone records, bank records, proof of joint property ownership and/or joint financial obligations, original baptismal records, medical records and adoption decrees are often useful.

  • Evidence of financial support

Please note that in some circumstances the interviewing officer may ask the applicant to supply updated tax information or an updated AOS at the time of the interview.

  • Visa Photographs
    Two (2) colored photographs printed according to specifications, provided in the visa application packet. More information about the photo requirements is available on the Department of State's travel website.
  • Employment based petition additional documents
  • Official Job Offer with the salary stated from the potential U.S. employer, issued less than one year prior to visa application
  • Visa Screen Certificate (for nurses and physical therapists)
  • Old and current professional identification cards  (if available) 

Following to join Family Members

The spouse and children of a principal applicant are entitled to derive immigration benefits from their principal’s approved visa petition and may travel to the United States at a later date. Under no circumstance will the derivative spouse or child be allowed to travel to the U.S. ahead of the principal applicant.